F You Spike Jonze! F You!
Oh, I am so angry right now I could spit nails.
Spike Jonze...someday, somewhere, somehow, I will exact my revenge.
I guess some of you want to know why (out of nowhere) I have the sudden hatred and need to destroy the seemingly innocent Spike Jonze.
That (expletive deleted) stole my project.
Back story:
My floor (as I will be an RA again) for next year has a bit of a reputation for being rowdy, rambunctious, and generally out of control. While working on a theme, I decided to play off these factors, in a subtle yet joking way, without actually encouraging them to go crazy.
I chose, for my theme, "Where The Wild Things Are."
Most of you should remember this book. It was published in 1963 and was written by Maurice Sendak. Here is the plot of the story (as copied from about.com):
"The plot of the book is based on the fantasy (and real) consequences of a little boy's mischief. One night Max dresses up in his wolf suit and does all kinds of things he shouldn't, like chasing the dog with a fork. His mother scolds him and calls him a "WILD THING!" Max is so mad he shouts back, "I'LL EAT YOU UP!" As a result, his mother sends him to his bedroom without any supper.
Max's imagination transforms his bedroom into an extraordinary setting, with a forest and an ocean and a little boat that Max sails in until he comes to a land full of "wild things." Although they look and sound very fierce, Max is able to tame them with a single glance. They all realize Max is "...the most wild thing of all" and make him their king. Max and the wild things have a fine time creating a rumpus until Max begins to want to be "…where someone loved him best of all." Max's fantasy ends when he smells his dinner. Despite the wild things' protests, Max sails back to his own room where he finds his supper waiting for him."
The floor theme will feature monster name-tags, and murals on the wall depicting the beautiful boat and palm image that made the cover so famous.

As I started preparing for that, I started thinking about what a cute story it is. Not only is it very visual, it has a good ending (that teaches kids a lesson), and has withstood the test of time, being as important to kids today as it was back then. I mean, I just ordered my own personal copy on Amazon.ca, which means it's still being printed to this day.
With all this in mind, I started thinking about what a great movie it would make. I mean, they've adapated other children's books (The Cat In The Hat, The Polar Express) and made them feature length films. What greater exercise for me to challenge myself with in scriptwriting class next year (where we are allowed to do adapations) than to take a 20 or so page childrens book and turn it into a 80-90 page script?
Spike Jonze has destroyed my dream!
As I was browsing around on IMDB (which I do, very often), I came across this.
THAT WAS MY PROJECT! MY IDEA! MY DREAM!
Don't get me wrong - I love(d) Spike Jonze. Being John Malkovich is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. But now, after destroying my hopes and crushing my brilliance...well...it's becoming pretty hard to forgive and forget.
Anyway, it's 2:30 in the morning, and I work at 7:00, so I should probably consider getting some sleep. Goodnight one. Goodnight all.
Except you Spike Jonze. No goodnight for you.
With all this in mind, I started thinking about what a great movie it would make. I mean, they've adapated other children's books (The Cat In The Hat, The Polar Express) and made them feature length films. What greater exercise for me to challenge myself with in scriptwriting class next year (where we are allowed to do adapations) than to take a 20 or so page childrens book and turn it into a 80-90 page script?
Spike Jonze has destroyed my dream!
As I was browsing around on IMDB (which I do, very often), I came across this.
THAT WAS MY PROJECT! MY IDEA! MY DREAM!
Don't get me wrong - I love(d) Spike Jonze. Being John Malkovich is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. But now, after destroying my hopes and crushing my brilliance...well...it's becoming pretty hard to forgive and forget.
Anyway, it's 2:30 in the morning, and I work at 7:00, so I should probably consider getting some sleep. Goodnight one. Goodnight all.
Except you Spike Jonze. No goodnight for you.


1 Comments:
I've wanted to see this in movie form for years. Sorry Spike beat you to it.
Post a Comment
<< Home