Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Pepsi Blues

So I had a bit of spare time on my hands tonight (I know...dangerous...hide the sharp objects) and I got to thinking...

What was up with Pepsi Blue?


Does anybody remember that stuff? It was from like, 6 years ago. The only reason I remember that is because at that point in time I worked at a grocery store that had a unique policy. Basically, if you found something in the store that wasn't fresh, you got a fresh one (of whatever that object was) for free. Apparently we were "fresh obsessed" (or so our nametags said):


(My old nametag...yes I keep weird mementos from my past. And in case you're wondering, I don't want the company coming after me or something, hence the logo being all blurred...as though "I'm Fresh Obsessed" doesn't give anything away...)

Anyway, some people don't realize this, but pop has an expiry date. So if someone brought us a bottle of pop that they found on the shelf that was one day past the expiry date (it couldn't be the day of, it had to be PAST the day of expiration), they would get an identical pop for free. Although, on a side note, this whole past the date of expiration was definitely taken advantage of by some cheap free-loaders who would come into our 24-hour store about at about 11:00 at night, load up their carts with any 'soon to expire' items they could get their grubby hands on, and wait until midnight so they could get it all for free (you're only allowed one of any particular item for free, but they would search through everything so they had like 50 different items in their cart for us to ring through and then void while they sat there so smug and proud of themselves.) Let's just say that fantasies of them "accidentally" being crushed under a pile of heavy soup cans were not rare occurances.

Anyway, back to Pepsi Blue. What I'm getting at is that we would end up giving away boatloads of this stuff, because no one would buy it.

I mean, what was it supposed to be? It hid behind the name Pepsi, but didn't resemble Pepsi at all, in either taste or colour. And it tasted like overly sweet Cream Soda, but the name "Cream Soda" is already taken so they couldn't call it that. So what does that leave us with?

I don't know who Pepsi Blue was trying to kid, but I didn't fall for it, and I'm glad that I don't see it on the shelf anymore. I'm also glad I don't work at a grocery store anymore, but that's a different story. Actually, truth be told, I liked working at the grocery store, I just usually wasn't a fan of the customers. But hey, you win some, you lose some, right?

On that note, I am off to bed. This post was oddly fun to write. Perhaps there shall be more like this in the future...hmmm...

2 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Isaac Carmichael said...

And what the heck ever happend to the Pepsi Clear they had back in the 90's?

BTW-came here via Tayster's World...go Oilers!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger CyberWarlock said...

I bought 1 bottle of Pepsi Blue when it came out because I liked Pepsi and I thought it might be good. I was wrong. I didn't even finish it. In fact, it was so bad, that 5 years later I can still remember the exact time and place - I was in the passenger seat of my friend's SUV and we had just gotten gas at the Petro Canada at Dundas and Erin Mills in Mississauga.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home