A Bag Of Peanuts At My Feet
Now I lay me down to sleep
A bag of peanuts at my feet
If I should die before I wake
I will have died of a tummyache
I remember reading that poem in a childrens poem book when I was a kid and thinking it was the cutest thing. Teehee...a bag of peanuts...and what a cute take on the typical "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer that I would say every night before I went to bed.
Well, I thought it was cute until it almost came true. And instead of dying of a tummyache, I swear I was going to die of heat exhaustion.
It has gotten warm here. Now, I don't want to complain about the warm because I spend all of the winter complaining about the cold and I will come across as hypocritical if I complain about the warm too. That or just grumpy. The unfortunate and negative side of this heatwave relates to where I live. Not only do I have my own tiny itsy-bitsy room that has a closed door for most of the day (while I am in class), I have a window that opens about three inches and big metal blinds that absorb all the sunlight (which so conveniently shines in through my window for the entirety of the day.) To make matters worse it appears that the geniuses running rez don't feel like turning the air-conditioning back on. On top of it all it is 24-hour quiet hours until the end of term. This means that our doors are not permitted to be propped open at all, lest we disturb Jane Nobody down the hall who is diligently preparing for her exams all day for two weeks. When we put all this together, what do we get? Miniature saunas that are not safe for human use.
Have you ever slept in a sauna? Probably not because IT WOULD KILL YOU! I tried and tried and tried to get to sleep at a decent hour last night, but nothing could get me relaxed enough to sleep in a happy state. I threw my sheets and my comforter to the floor (and a majority of my pillows) yet nothing would make me stop sweating and get some real rest
So I put peanuts on my feet.
That sounds really stupid doesn't it? Here's how it went down (hear me out before you call the funny farm):
My mom sends care packages every month or so, and to keep the food at it's freshest, I keep it in my fridge. I happened to have a full bag of peanuts and a half bag of peanuts in my fridge. Well, they molded perfectly to my feet (when my feet cool off I find it much easier to sleep) and helped my entire body cool down as my feet slipped into a comfortable numbness.
My mom sends care packages every month or so, and to keep the food at it's freshest, I keep it in my fridge. I happened to have a full bag of peanuts and a half bag of peanuts in my fridge. Well, they molded perfectly to my feet (when my feet cool off I find it much easier to sleep) and helped my entire body cool down as my feet slipped into a comfortable numbness.
Needless to say I woke up a few hours later with a couple bags of peanuts at my feet, the poem at the top of this post racing through my head, and frighteningly, my sheet and comforter on me.
That scares me...the sheet and comforter bit. I mean, do I sleepwalk/sleeppickstuffoffthefloor? I do not remember waking up and conciously wrapping both my sheet and my comforter around me. Though, this weird phenomenon might explain why my alarm clock seems to miraculously turn off in the middle of the night when I know I set it the previous evening.
Anyway, I think I'm going to get more sleep tonight. And after that it is only one more sleep until the first-year screenings! Yay! (and 11 more sleeps until I am on my way home!)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home