Thursday, June 16, 2005

A Scary Connection

Moms can be scary. I'm sure all of you with moms know this. I sometimes think that my mother is the scariest of them all.

She spent a week in Edmonton last week. A full week. A full week away from me and my sister, giving us a 4 province (two very large ones included) gap. Please note that my mom thought it would be okay to leave a 16 year old and an 18 (although I'm almost 19...don't forget that!) year old home by themselves for a week and not expect trouble.

So she calls me the night she's set to come home. Here is how our conversation went:

Kyla: Hello?

Mom: Hey.

Kyla: Oh...hi.

Mom: How was your day?

Kyla: Well it started off really good, but then it got really lousy.

Mom: What did you do? Wreck the car?

Kyla: ...(dead silence)...How did you know that?

How DID she know that?

Yes indeed, I wrecked the car and somehow, from many provinces over, mom could tell just from the inflection in my voice.

We were actually having a nice day out here in New Brunswick, and I was driving with my window down and radio blaring, enjoying life and the fact that I was off work. I neglected to notice the car that had stopped in front of me at a yield sign (please note: this would be a yield sign that people rarely stop at because there is rarely a need) and I manged to jam the right side of my car into the left side of her SUV. Life plays cruel jokes on us sometimes.

So it appears that all the money I make at my stupid job will go to cover repairs on my car and repairs on the other car. Not that my job is hard. A lot of the time I get paid for sitting in my chair and spinning in circles. I have to stop that every once in awhile though, because my phone cord eventually reaches it's end and I have to unwind (cursed headsets!)

Anyway, my point is, that my mom is scary with how well she knows me. I mean, it can be a good thing sometimes. I remember one night at college I picked up the phone and all I said was "Hello" and she immediately said, "What's wrong?" Sure enough, I started bawling my eyes out because I was homesick, lonely, stressed, and under the weather. I mean, her knowing was a good thing, because in my heart I was dying for someone to talk to, but felt I would be imposing if I bothered anyone else on the floor. Not to mention one girl told me to leave if I was going to cry because she couldn't handle it.

So I guess I don't mind that mom has a direct tap into my mind. I mean, so does Lindsay, and I let her get away with it. Might as well let my own flesh and blood get away with it too.

Now if I could only get my mother to stop ragging me about doing the dishes, and I think life would be perfect.

P.S. I hope this blog satisfies everyone who left a comment on my "I'm being lazy" blog. Actually, I really appreciate the input. It's really great to know I have people reading.

Until next time!

2 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Amy Mahon said...

Uh-oh... been there, done that. I wrecked the front bumper of my parents' van last summer, and I still haven't fully paid them back. It was like 1500 bucks for a simple mistake. Ouch.

And then my dad wrecked the new bumper in the winter when he put the van in the ditch!

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its been nearly ten days since your last post! just thought i'd point that out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home