Friday, November 05, 2004

Philisophical

I am in a very philisophical mood. Maybe it's because I'm listening to very poetic music (which always manages to get me in one of these thinking mind-sets), or maybe it is because it is another boring Friday night with nothing to do. Here are a few lines from an amazing Barenaked Ladies song called War On Drugs which I have been pondering for the past little while:

Won't it be dull when we rid ourselves
Of all these demons haunting us
To keep us company

Won't it be odd to be happy like we
Always thought we're supposed to feel
But never seem to be

They say that Jesus and mental health
Are just for those who can help themselves
But what good is that when you live in hell on earth?

I especially love the first part, with the imagery about the demons, and whether or not the demons (and all the bad things that happen to us) are here because without them we would be left alone. If you listen to the song, it really captures the emotion of desperation and helplessness that many people often find themselves stuck in. Though I really don't feel that desperate, I defintely think that many people can relate to this song. Here is why:

I was talking to Lindsay the other day about how easily I accept change. You see, I have moved my entire life, and I feel that if you let change get you down, you will never make it out alive. I figure that the easiest thing to do is to accept whatever comes our way, be it good or bad, because it is what makes us who we are. Sometimes, though, I admit I wish I cared more about the things that hurt, and didn't just let them slide as though they don't matter. I wish I could be a more aggressive person - not physically but emotionally, and say what I need to say and do what I need to do so I can feel more like myself. But at the same time, the things that hurt are what give me experience, and make me embrace all the amazing and wicked awesome things that come my way. So maybe the demons in my life (like my parent's divorce and my recent breakup) are there to keep me sane, and teach me to appreciate the good things that life has to offer.

Sorry if I have confused anyone. I just felt like typing this while it was on my mind. Rock on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home