Sunday, March 11, 2007

Hawaii 2007 - Day 12 and 13: Stranded and The Journey Home

So I awake to hear Dad on the phone with Air Canada. The conversation goes something like this:



Dad: Our flight out of Kahului, Maui to Las Angeles didn't leave last night.

Air Canada Agent: (Indecipherable)

Dad: Well, they told us last night to return at 9:00 this morning for the same flight. I'm just curious as to what our connections to Toronto would be.

Air Canada Agent: (Indecipherable)

Dad: There are no connections? Well how am I getting back to Toronto?

Air Canada Agent: (Indecipherable)

Dad: So we can go through Vancouver, but we can't leave until this evening?

Air Canada Agent: (Indecipherable)

Dad: Yeah, I guess the weather out east caused the delay. No complaints here. We'll take another day in Maui. How's the weather where you are?

Air Canada Agent: (Indecipherable)

Dad: You're in Tampa?



So there you have it. I hadn't even opened my eyes and I learned that:

a) The Air Canada call centre is in Tampa.

and

b) I am "stranded" in Hawaii for at least another day.

Now, at this point, I'm not sure whether to be panicked, or happy. I mean, last night while driving to the airport I distinctly remember thinking, "I wish I could have just one more day in Maui." Except, now that I HAVE another day in Hawaii, I don't know what to do with it!

Dad was kind of worried about the whole flight situation, so, trying to remain positive (I mean, we're stranded in paradise!) I told him it was a sign that he had to enjoy at least one more cup of authentic Kona coffee before we left.

So, with that being said, Dad and I made our way to a Bad Ass Coffee cafe, which conveniently had an Internet cafe in it. Both of us had to fire off a few e-mails, informing work, school, and friends that we "unfortunately" weren't going to be home for another day.

After that, we returned to the condo to discover the Grandparents had gone for a walk. We went down and sat by the pool, but discovered that it didn't feel right. Essentially, our minds had "checked-out" of Maui, and it was odd to be spending another morning, basking in the heat (which felt especially hot today.)

After preparing a small lunch, we hit Charlie Young beach for the second time in the week. Words cannot even describe how hot the sun was by this point. In the entire week of being in Hawaii, I had not been this warm.

Charlie Young beach has amazing water - the warmest I felt in all the beaches I had visited. There is also a nice amount of wave, which is perfect for boogie boarding.


After only a few runs, it was clear in my mind: this is my future. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am going to become a world professional boogie boarder, touring anywhere with waves and a willing audience.

I mean, look at me ride that wave!


Dad (sorry Dad) wasn't nearly as graceful.




I mean, how could I NOT pursue this professionally? Look at the smile on my face. That, my friends, is happiness.


I even picked up the subtle nuances of the sport very fast. See how ignored that wave? It wasn't the perfect wave.


Anyway, I enjoyed a very successful morning featuring career self-discovery and salt water enemas (not literally, people), and got to see some more whales breech the surface of the water (big ones this time...not like the little baby yesterday!) I think they might have been fighting over a female. It was a pretty cool sight to see!

Anyway, after all the sand and sun, however, I was ready to head back to the condo for the afternoon...

...where I promptly collapsed on the daybed for 2 hours. When I awoke, I was ridiculously woozy, and couldn't stomach my food. Apparently, since my mind had left Hawaii, my body thought it had too! I was suffering from a bit of sunstroke and dehydration (as well as a sunburn across my face!)

By this point, it was time to say goodbye to Hawaii (again!) and we left for the airport. This time, we were through the check-out counter in record time, and moved on to be frisked by security (why is it ALWAYS me?)

On the plane I slept the entire way...my body definitely wasn't happy with me by this point. I even was conked out through the landing. I didn't even know we had landed! I felt something funny, looked up, and we were on the ground. I turned to Dad, who said that I looked so peaceful, he couldn't bear to wake me up!

We had to race through customs (in Vancouver) to catch our next flight, and again, I slept through the entire thing. Upon landing in Toronto, I was greeted in the worst possible way (with snow), and was definitely wishing to be back in Hawaii. Some of that disdain melted away, however, when I got back to rez to comments of "You look so good," and "You have an awesome tan." Plus, it is nice to come home to a bit of familiarity after being away for so long!

So that was my vacation to Hawaii. It is definitely one of the more memorable trips I've ever taken, and will certainly hold a special place in my heart for years to come (at least, until I go back again!...Cookie? You in?) I'm even considering (and I dare you to try and stop me, Dad) getting a Hawaiian inspired tattoo, but that is still awhile down the road.

I hope you've enjoyed my postings, and I hope that, for those of you who have been to Hawaii, I have reminded you of how amazing it is, and for those of you who haven't, I have inspired you to visit this paradise on earth.

Aloha, my friends.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I'm so glad I actually know of most of the stories... it's funny reading it backwards!
I wanna go!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home