Sunday, January 14, 2007

Kyla's Movie Guide - 2007

During a (now) common night of boredom coupled with insomnia, I decided to go through a list of films being released this year, and make my choices for ones I want to see and why. Be forewarned that these are my personal choices based on my (sometimes eclectic) tastes, so you can choose to ignore them (though I would like to point out that I have been right about these things from time to time.) By the way, the dates above the films are the dates that they are set to be released in North America (and are typically subject to change.)

I have put each one in one of the following categories:

Must-See: I will go out of my way to make sure I can get to a theatre and see this movie on the big screen.
See: If I get a chance, I will spend $10 to see this movie on the big screen.
Rent: I want to see this movie, but will wait until it's available for renting.

Now, without further ado...







January 12, 2007

I have heard WAY too much good about this movie to ignore it. Plus, I've really started getting more and more into foreign films.
See

My reasoning behind this one is two words: Ewan McGregor. (But as a side note, I grew up with Beatrix Potter stories and am kind of interested in seeing the story behind the stories.)
Rent

This one was getting a lot of Oscar buzz even before it's release date, and I like to keep on top of movies that are deemed "Oscar-Worthy."
See
January 19, 2007
There is just too much good about this movie (director, cast, concept) for it to go terribly wrong. Must-See
January 26, 2007
I enjoy a good girlie movie from time to time, and the addition of director Kevin Smith to the mix is going to guarantee some great laughs. Must-See
February 2, 2007

After having Sienna Miller and her antics shoved down my throat for the past year, I'm anxious to see if she's actually a performer or just another pretty Hollywood face. But mostly I'll probably go to watch Hayden Christensen in action.
See
February 9, 2007
After finally seeing proof that Jude Law CAN act, I'm interested to see him strut his stuff in this thriller. However, playing an adulterer in a movie and actually being one in real life might ruin him for me again. Rent
February 16, 2006

Having studied this novel (Ok, Grade 6 novel study), I want to see how the director visually shares Terabithia with the audience.
Rent
February 23, 2007

With a concept that sounds like a dark version of 2006's Stranger Than Fiction, and a spooky poster of none other than Jim Carrey, this movie seems oddly compelling. Plus, I'm one of the few who enjoy Carrey's dramatic ventures over his early comedic work.
See
March 2, 2007

David Fincher directed Fight Club. This movie could blow and I'd still go see it.
Must-See

Yet again, another chick-flick is sneaking into the mix. This one just sounds fun, with a highly talented cast.
Rent

I'm judging this one solely on concept; in the same stream as Weird Science, it kind of sounds like an 'everything-goes-right-for-a-nerdy-kind-of-kid' all around, good time (albeit highly cliche) movie.
Rent
March 9, 2007

Adam Sandler + 9/11 Drama = Curiosity? I think so.
See

If the trailer for this film starring the lovable duo of Zach Braff and Jason Bateman is anything like the actual movie, this movie guaranteed to produce many laughs.
Must-See
The concept of this zombie movie is unlike any I have ever heard of, and is therefore good enough for me to try. See
March 16, 2007

Although taking a break from the indie scene which has been doing her good, Sandra Bullock's latest flick looks like it will be a good thriller, even if the plot ends up seeming canned.
Rent

I just want to see how they make a feature film out of a game of poker.
Rent

Early reviews of this film are promising that Jason Biggs is taking a positive turn from the American Pie franchise with this hopefully sweet romantic comedy.
See
March 23, 2007

Written by the man who brought us Minority Report I am excited to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this darker film, with hopefully a lot of twists and turns along the way
See

Yes, it may be another spoof film, but it is spoofing a kind of film that I am particularly fond of. That's good enough for me.
Rent
March 30, 2007

Already being hailed as potentially "the best-looking animated film of 2007", I am psyched to see what Disney has to offer us with this family-oriented film.
See

I feel like Will Ferrell should take every competitive sport or event and make it into a movie mocking it's existence. Like the hilarious Talledega Nights this movie should shine on the big screen with comedic genius Ferrell being supported by the amazing Jon Heder (of Napoleon Dynamite fame) and Amy Poehler.
Must-See
April 6, 2007

The combined genius of Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez is sure to create one of the most memorable films that 2007 will see.
Must-See

I don't know too much about this film, other than the fact that it stars Richard Gere, and that any movie where the audience knows more than the characters on screen is always perfect for a good movie-going time.
See
April 13, 2007

The ridiculous concept behind this film (I mean, really...30 somethings acting as college coed? I don't think so!) is enough for me to eventually spend a couple hours of my life watching it.
Rent

Shia LeBoef certainly has come a long way since his family-oriented television days. I can wait to see him do something gritty.
Rent

I've always been fond of the writings of Mike White, and want to support his directorial debut. Besides that, a cast featuring John C. Reilly and Peter Sarsgaard are bound to make this movie great.
See
April 20, 2007

My girl-crush on Scarlett Johansson isn't the only reason behind me wanting to see this film. Ok, it's the main reason, but the rest of the cast is great and the concept behind the film sounds like it'll be an enjoying view (and I wasn't talking about Scarlett that time.)
See
April 27, 2007

First a comedy about figure skating and now one about ping pong. 2007 appears to be the year of making fun of random sports that no one really watches. Maybe it's all a guise to actually make us appreciate the real sport behind the movie? Time will tell on that one...
See

Sounds like Silence Of The Lambs except with Ryan Gosling instead of Jodie Foster. Good enough for me!
See
May 4, 2007

This movie (as far as I'm concerned) will mark the beginning of an excellent summer of HUGE blockbuster movies. While I am the first to complain about producers overworking movie franchises, the Spider-Man franchise is one that I am happy to see is continuing to thrive.
Must-See
May 11, 2007

As much as I speak with disdain when referring to Lindsay Lohan, I must grudgingly admit that she has some talent. It'll be nice to see her in something more age appropriate. Now if she could only learn to handle her personal life...
See
May 18, 2007

I love a good dose of animated pop-culture. I have no doubt that enough work was put into the story that Shrek The Third will live up to it's precursors.
Must-See

I have a warm spot in my heart for John Cusack. It's pretty much as big as the warm spot in my heart for mysterious and psychologically thrilling movies.
See
May 25, 2007

Finally! Answers to all the questions the second Pirates movie left unanswered. I'm so excited to see how they wrap up this amazing trilogy!
Must-See

For the same reason I saw Snakes On A Plane, I will see this movie. The title rocks! I don't even know what it's about. All I know is that I want to see it!
Rent
June 1, 2007

Judd Apatow is one of the funniest men making movies these days, and if his follow-up to The 40-Year Old Virgin is even close to being as funny or well-constructed, this is a good way to kick off June.
Must-See
June 8, 2007

I love the Ocean's franchise. I will probably go see this movie 6 times in theatres, just to see the beauty that is combined sex-appeal of Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Matt Damon. Oh, the stories are usually good too as well. Yay heist movies!
Must-See

What is it with people and penguins lately? I just don't get it. Oh well. The fact that this is an animated movie with talented voices means I will probably give it a chance.
See
June 15, 2007

Ok, so the first Fantastic Four blows. I know that. You know that. But it does have some fantastic special effect. I'll probably see it simply to watch the special features on the DVD release.
Rent
June 22, 2007

It's good to finally see Steve Carell get the attention that was stolen from him by Jim Carrey in the first Almighty movie. Bonus points for securing Morgan Freeman as God again.
Must-See
June 29, 2007

I started seeing trailers for this years ago, and think I got it mixed up with the other animated rat movie, Flushed Away. This one looks a whole ton better though, and will probably be the rat movie I choose to spend money on.
See
July 6, 2007

This is one of those movies where the hype building up to it will be the reason I go see it right away. I mean, when other movies talk about your movie in their script (coughcoughClerksIIcoughcough), you know that it's kind of a big deal.
Must-See

Robin Williams has been stooping pretty low lately with his movie choices. Despite that, however, he is still a ridiculously funny man, and will make this movie worthwhile in the end.
Rent
July 13, 2007

This movie is a gift from the movie gods to me for my 21st birthday. Finally, we've hit the point where our favourite wizard is really starting to see the dark side of the wizarding world, and starts having to make some serious choices about his future at Hogwarts.
Must-See
July 20, 2007

What if Adam Sandler and Kevin James were to get married? I know I wonder that a lot. At least this movie will be released in July and that pressing question can finally be answered.
Must-See

I am not going to sit idly and let the many pictures of John Travolta and Christopher Walken in drag pass me by. I am going to see this movie!
Must-See
July 27, 2007

Having been banned from The Simpsons as a child, I'm not sure if this movie will be as important to me as it will to other people (ie: fans of the show.) I fear it'll be a bit like The Trailer Park Boys Movie where the only people who enjoy it are the ones who have followed the show since the beginning. I'll give it a chance though.
See

I don't know much about this movie, but some still show it to have a really romantic and mystical look about it, which is always enjoyable for a great visual trip.
See

At first I wasn't going to put this one on the list, the but perpetual adorableness of Abigail Breslin won out in the end.
See
August 3, 2007

Here is another franchise that I really value and thank my lucky stars regularly that it was made. I have goosebumps in anticipation for the twists and turns that this movie will take me on.
Must-See

The logline won me out. I mean, how do you resist "Initially failing to fit in at his new public school, Charlie Bartlett (Yelchin) appoints himself as the new resident therapist, where he doles out advice, and the occasional prescription or two..."
See
August 17, 2007

Michael Cera of Arrested Development fame is headlining this movie, and my crush on his character George Michael is enough for me to venture out and see him on the big screen for the first time (first time for me at least.)
Must-See

Any movie that has anything to do with Star Wars is to be placed on a pedestal and revered above all others.
Must-See
August 31, 2007

First Jason Bateman, then Michael Cera, and now Will Arnett (all of Arrested Development fame) all have movies coming out this year. The previous television work of theirs is probably the only reason I will see most of their movies, but I sincerely hope for good things.
See
September 28, 2007

Another Mr. Bean movie? It's been what? 10 years? I don't care what people think or what anyone says...I will see this movie and I will enjoy it and laugh...a lot (besides...it's the only thing that even sounds remotely good to me that September has to offer.)
See
October 5, 2007

This one is being hyped as a sequel to Elizabeth, and I believe that a strong, time-driven piece is a good change from the rest of the movies on this list.
See
October 12, 2007

Once again. There is a warm spot in my heart for John Cusack. I can only image that John Cusack starring alongside a kid will bring cute results.
Rent
October 26, 2007

Unlike I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With (mentioned earlier) I think this wins for the worst title for a movie. However, all is explained in the trailer, and I think that this is going to be a dorky, but enjoyable stupid movie.
Rent
November 2, 2007

I am baffled by the teaser trailer for this (which features actors dressed up as bugs trying to survive on an oversized windshield being showered with water and tossed in the wind.) The jury is still out on this one, but it looks like it might be fun.
See
November 9, 2007

I find there are a lot of really lousy holiday movies with a few gems (like Elf) thrown into the mix. I'm hoping this one is a diamond in the rough.
See
November 16, 2007

The story of Beowulf is going to be motion-capture animated? By Zemeckis? I'm intrigued.
See
November 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure I've run out of things to say now. This one is animated. If you've been reading, you'll know that animation pretty much wins for me.
See
December 28, 2007

I don't know much about this one yet, but it will be nice to see perennial favourite, Tom Hanks appear as the title role in another movie.
See

There you have it folks...my list for 2007. I'm sure some of these will be bombs, while others will be pleasant surprises. Some I have no doubt will blow my mind, while I'm sure there are movies that aren't on this list (and haven't even been announced for release) yet that will be extraordinary and very much worth mentioning. That's the great thing about film though - there is a whole world of options waiting for you!

Happy movie-going!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

dot dot dot wow. When you said you were going all out on this one, you weren't joking! lol I'm impressed. Like I told you earlier, there are a bunch there that I want to see too. I cant' wait for The Good German. Clooney, War, period film = Lindsay :)
I may use this as a database to see what is coming out next. lol

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

i got about 1/3 of the way through the list and said "yeah i agree with most of these" then the list kept going and our tastes diverged further. oh well. lots coming out, few that will make it to SJ. lifes a bitch then ya die. and sorry linny but i have a sneaky suspicion that the good german will mean a trip to bayers lake, since very war movie I've wanted to see in the past 2 years didn't play in wide release and never came to SJ

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also you left out "The Last King Of Scotland" gonna be awesome, comes out in the next week or so i think

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Kyla said...

I feel like there are a couple left out, simply because they are not yet on the list I referenced. They will be added as I hear of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home