Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Hawaii 2007 - Day 6: Bigger Is Always Better

Today was dedicated to the joy that is Big Beach.

Big Beach (AKA Makena State Park) is the biggest beach we went to during our vacation to Hawaii, and it is certainly given it's name for a reason. The moment you step foot on it, you are greeted by a sprawling landscape of sand, sand, and more sand.

It was a quiet day at the beach. Cloudy days are great in Hawaii, because it is still warm, and you can get a great tan without melting in the smoldering sun.

Living up to its name, the waves at Big Beach are also huge. If you are not careful, one of these things will take you out. We were hit by a couple of waves that were definitely over our heads. There have been shark attacks on this beach, which kind of freaked me out, until I was given reason as to why I shouldn't be worried. Apparently, surfers are more apt to get attacked, because the turtle (eep!) is the shark's natural food source, and when a surfer is paddling through the water, they resemble a turtle (in the way that they swim.) As well, sharks really only come to feast at dawn and dusk, so a mid-day attack is very, VERY rare.

The next 10 pictures are a 360 shot that Dad tried, in order to try and show the vastness that is Big Beach. Facebook users can check out a rough and dirty merge I did of these photos in my photo album section. One day I might get around to actually cleaning up the merge, but that day is not today.


The chunk of land to the left is Kahoʻolawe (uninhabited due to being used as target practice by the US Army.) The chunk on the right is Molokini, where we went snorkeling. (More on both of these places in a later post.)


Beyond that hill (over the little hill on the left of the big hill) is Little Beach. Little Beach is a renowned nude beach. I considered going over there, but it's frowned upon to hang around fully clothed...and I'm not that brave...yet.










It was a bit cloudier today, so we had a HUGE amount of beach all to ourselves.










Look how much more tan I am then Kristyn! Going tanning beforehand REALLY paid off. I tanned so fast and so richly, and people were still commenting about it over a month later. Poor Kristyn though got such severe heat rash...she had to go to the emergency medical clinic and get checked out...and then they told her to stay out of the sun...IN HAWAII! Do they forget where they are? Needless to say, Kristyn did not end up going home as bronze as Dad and I did.


Me doing what I do best...nothing. But if I say it once, I'll say it a million times...isn't that why I went on vacation?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

apparently they sun bath topless in Rome... I'm not sure how brave I am yet either.... lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home