Sunday, April 22, 2007

Hawaii 2007 - Day 4 and 5: Practice and The Real Thing

Sunday morning we awoke and headed out to rent some snorkel gear. Snorkel shops are as common in Hawaii as Tim Hortons stores are in Canada, so needless to say there is plenty of choice. However, Dad had a place he went to last year that had pretty good service and prices, so we headed there.

After picking up the gear, we headed to Ulua beach to give snorkeling some practice. I've talked to people who don't like to snorkel, because it's really claustrophobic (especially given the fact that when people learn to swim, they are taught to breath out through their nose, and snorkels inhibit that natural action.)

Ulua is a tinier beach, but it has some great snorkeling, and remains pretty shallow for a good portion of the beach, so it was a good place to practice for a future snorkeling location.








I had to make sure the snorkel gear fit before going into the water. Too bad you can't see the flippers!

I think Ulua is where I first went snorkeling the last time I went to Hawaii. It's a good beginner place, as the fish aren't very far out, and the coral isn't so far down you can't see it, but is far enough down that you don't slice up your knees!

Still, I think I had the same reaction to the fish as I did when I was 6. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I squealed.

There is something magical and graceful about the underwater world. It's hard to explain. It's just so peaceful when you get under there! Kind of freaky too, because every so often, you hear these loud pitch squeaks...coming from the humpback whales! It really makes you realize that you are not alone in the ocean, and you're definitely not the biggest creature out there.

We bought a bag of frozen peas and as I fed the fish I again dissolved into peals of squeals, highly amused at watching the fish dart around for the peas. The little ones were especially cute, because the peas were about half the size of them! They would bite into the veggie, and then swim around with a pea sticking out of their mouths as they tried to take a few substantial bites.

It took awhile to get used to snorkeling again, but once you get going, it's amazing. Except when you accidentally breathe in a whole mouthful of salt water...ew.

Afterwards I did some boogie boarding and sun worshiping, before heading back to the condo to do pretty much the same thing all afternoon.



On Monday, Dad, Kristyn and I headed out in the morning to go snorkeling in a spot that Dad had been introduced to during his trip last year. Beyond all the public beaches, there is a little rocky lava cove (no sand), that has a brilliant amount of fish, as well as the hope of seeing turtles!

As soon as you put your head into the water, there are fish EVERYWHERE! Schools of them, all brilliant colours and moving with such ease. The coral is magical and so intricate. Unfortunately, unlike Ulua, you have to be really careful. The coral isn't that far down (until get get much further out), and your movements are really restricted as you try not to bash your limbs against the sharp edges. Still it's hard not to appreciate the beauty of it all. I find that we get so swept up in the world on earth, it's easy to forget that there is a whole other one under the water.








We swam for a good long time, and only saw fish, fish, and more fish. We were about to give up hope and head in, when all of a sudden, I saw a unique shape appear down below us...


TURTLE! It was so exciting...my first Hawaiian turtle. Watching this one definitely reaffirmed why they are my favourite animals. So beautiful, graceful and peaceful. The Hawaiians use the turtle to remind them to keep calm, and be easy-going. How can you not love that?










As Dad was swimming down to get this shot, our turtle friend (who at this point we had lost track of) was swimming right up behind him. Dad couldn't figure out why Kristyn and I were laughing until he turned around and the turtle was in his face.

I kept trying to swim as close as I could get to the turtle, without touching it (I didn't want to hurt it, nor wanted it to hurt me.) Kristyn made fun of me, telling me that I was swimming in it's poop. I didn't really care, though. I mean, how many people can claim to have swam in the excrement of their favourite animal. Ok, I know...that's gross. Actually I don't know if I actually swam in it's poop. Kris was probably just saying that to bug me, weren't you Kristyn?

We went home and said goodbye to Auntie Cindy and Megan and Brandon who were heading out that afternoon, and lounged around for awhile. When Grandma got back from the airport, we headed to the mall, where I discovered true love (AKA Wet Seal.)

I bought a brilliant 50's inspired dress, shoes, and jewelry for our residence formal, which was said to be held with a 50's Hollywood glamour theme. When I got home, the formal had been cancelled, but I was still happy to have such a funky dress.


It's funny...I have never gone to bed so early in my life as I did while on vacation. Our days began to develop a very similar pattern in a short little while.

We would wake up at 7 or 8 o'clock, eat breakfast and go do something in the morning. In the afternoon we would come back, be lazy at the condo or by the pool and then eat dinner around time for sunset, and then Dad and I would go to the hot tub and schmooze with other people who were staying at the condo for their Hawaiian vacation. When we returned from that, I would change, crawl into bed, and be out by about 9:15. I NEVER go to bed that early. I guess that's the beautiful thing about vacation - there are no rules or norms...everything gets thrown to the wind and it becomes all about what makes you happy! And take a look at the picture above...in case you can't tell, I was happy!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home