Thursday, January 04, 2007

Wittier In '07

I started writing a corny opening sentence about 'another year gone by...' but then I decided that was entirely against what I wanted this post to be about.

I guess, for the new year, I kind of want this blog to go in a different direction. I haven't decided what direction that is yet...I kind of decided all this on a whim.

All I know is that I am bored with writing "I woke up, went to school and did 'this' (fill in whatever you want 'this' to be) today." I want my posts to be wittier, more clever...more thought out. I've also enjoyed posting YouTube movies and other odds and ends I find while surfing the net, so I might throw more of those posts into the mix.

Until, however, I can figure out what new direction I want for this blog in 2007, you are all stuck with a typical 2006 kind of entry.

Coming home this Christmas was good for me (and not only to catch up on my sleep.)

For those of you who know me well, it's been a year since I've last been home, since I opted to stay in Toronto and work for the summer.

While a lot has changed, it's refreshing to know that some things stay the same. Cookie (Lindsay) and I still amuse ourselves with our inside jokes, and all of us girls (adding Kelley and Jocelyn into the mix) still enjoy posing in front of cameras for endless glamour shots. Andrew still hits on anything that moves despite now having a girlfriend, and Bryan and I still get into our outrageous sarcasm battles which typically get both of us into trouble. Despite having not seen Andy for well over a year (longer than the others), he's still as I remember him, but maybe with more direction. Ricky is still Ricky, but impressed me this Christmas with his independence and drive, and Nick is still Nick, offering me a quarter to ride the pony and almost losing gracefully at bowling (and he would have lost gracefully had he not beat me by 3 measly points.)

Even though it's hard to tell what the future holds with this group of friends I know that these constants are what will keep them forever etched in my heart. See...I'm reverting back to 2006 corniness!

I'd comment more on the changes that have taken place, but some of them are still too painful to really deal with (not to mention that I don't entirely know my audience and there are certain things that I refuse to tell certain people.)

Now, this wouldn't be a 2006-esque post if I did not quote some song that reminded me of these changes. Well, my friends, that song is "How To Save A Life" by The Fray (and not The Phrase as I thought my sister had said.)

I would post the music video, but I read somewhere that there are like 3 music videos for this song, so I'll simply the matter and just post the song. Now, if it doesn't work, don't blame me. The speakers on my computer at home aren't working, so I won't be able to test this until I get back to school tomorrow:


Anyway, the chorus goes something like this:

"Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend/
Somewhere along in the bitterness/
And I would have stayed with you all night/
Had I known how to save a life."

For so long, I listened to those lyrics and believed them. For some reason, I believed, that the things that have changed in my life were some how my doing, and the reason I felt I had lost must have been my fault.

Yet, and I'm not sure when, I came to this realization:

What happened, and what transpired is not my fault. I did nothing wrong. As much as I like to control things, I can't take the blame for what was lost. I have washed my hands of it, and finally now, in 2007, can take a deep breath and know that I have (FINALLY!) moved on.

(I had something to say at this point, but no matter how I reworded it, I couldn't fix it to not bring back that bitterness that I just talked about, and that would defeat the purpose of my post. If you're curious, ask, but I may choose not to tell you. So nyah nyah nyah!)

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend listening to that song in the car. It's kind of one of those songs that a show like The O.C. or Grey's Anatomy would play to show something really terrible happening, like a car crash. For all I know, they already have. I don't know...I don't watch those shows. But really, don't do it. I listened to it in the car and was all freaked out that I was going to crash, and I was going to be found in a pile of burning twisted metal, and as a muscular fireman pulled me from the wreckage, that song started magically playing for all to hear, as he dragged my limp body away, the car exploding in the background, lighting up the starry sky.

Ok, so I watch a lot of movies.

In other news, Arrested Development is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Music World was having a sale so on a whim I bought the first and second seasons, having never watched a single episode. Now, in the past week I've watched 2 entire seasons (or 40 lovely episodes) and now have the strong craving for more. So strong, in fact, that I'm willing to sacrifice everything I own and love just to get my hands on the 3rd season. (Ok, that's a lie. I couldn't give up most of the things I own, and definitely not anything I love, but that does not negate the fact that I need the next season and I need it SOON!)

Moving on, I made some solid resolutions this year:

1) Eat more junk food
2) Sleep past noon more often
3) Spend exorbitant amounts of money on things I don't need
4) Watch more movies

and

5) Find new and exciting ways to bring up Steve Buscemi in normal everyday conversations.

I feel they are good resolutions...ones I can actually keep.

Actually no, I didn't really make any resolutions. I find people do and then get frustrated when they realize they are failures...I mean, realize that they failed...their resolutions. Yeah...

Rather, I'd just like to work on making myself a better person, in mind body and spirit. At the same time, however, I'd like to think I didn't need a fancy schmancy changing of the year to be a better human.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. I promised Cookie I would arise before noon so we can chill before I catch my evening plane back to TO, and sadly leave one of the things I couldn't give up for Season 3 of Arrested Development - a sense of home.

I'll miss you guys.

So let's see what direction this blog takes...your guess is as good as mine.

I look forward to blogging with you in '07!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

There was already a change in your blog. lately you've been posting about silly everyday things. This one was more directed, an inside look perhaps. It may be that i know you so well and that's why I understand, but I agree with what you have written, and don't worry, you shall return home. This will always be home, just as all who you know from here, will be with you. We post, we call, we e-mail or we may on occasion, maybe once a year, write in a journal. Whatever way you look at it, no ties are being severed, home is with you. I'll send dorky pics to remind you. Now who's being corny....

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for seeming more focused and directed lol.. seeming..

I definitely like the turn that this blog has taken, it's a more mature, more detailed outlook on the important things in Kyla's life (see: resolutions) and how they affect her life in a manner worth talking about to others..

Inspiring.

Thank you Kyla

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you pretty much already know how I feel about most things. But I'll agree with Lindsay. The Valley will always be home. No matter what happens. You're always a part of this place, and this place will always be a part of you.

Oh, and Lindsay forgot to mention text-messages:P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home